It's official. Atlassian's announcement on October 16th by Co-Founder Scott Farquhar made it clear that Cloud is path forward and the Server deployment option will be no more. Though the journey to Cloud began in 2012, this news clearly confirms that Atlassian's focus moving forward is on their Cloud solutions. We believe this will ultimately drive an amazing customer experience. As the Alassian Partner of the Year for Cloud, E7 is particularly excited for Atlassian and thrilled with the news.
Even though 95% of customers are starting their experience in the Atlassian Cloud, this news has a few people concerned. Let's explore the announcement a bit more...
1. Lots of Incentives are Available
Perhaps your organization has already been considering Atlassian's Cloud? Maybe this news has you wondering if it is time to start thinking about thinking about moving from Server. Either way, there is no better time than now. Here are a few key incentives:
- Atlassian Migration Program - The Atlassian Migration Program provides you with step-by-step guides, free migration tools, a dedicated migration support team.
- Free Cloud Migration Trials - Free, extended migration trials that match the length of your remaining server maintenance (up to 12 months) to help you evaluate and migrate to cloud over time.
- Dual licensing - If you are a new customer and migrating to Cloud (annual) with 1000+ users, you get complimentary Server & DC licenses for 1 year.
- Cloud Migration Loyalty Discount - If you are a new customer and migrating to Cloud (annual) with 1000+ users, you may be eligible for a 3 year discount on your Cloud subscription.
- Data Center Loyalty Discount - Server customers (all tiers) who choose to move to Data Center are eligible for a loyalty discount
If you're currently using a Server deployment option and this announcement has increased your anxiety, you don't need to panic. There is plenty of time to plan and execute a strategy for your Atlassian instances. Here are a few key dates to keep in mind:
- February 2, 2021: The Option to Purchase the Server Option Comes to an End.
Atlassian will stop selling new server licenses and cease new feature development on their Server product line . (This means you can still request quotes and purchase new licenses until then.)
- February 2, 2024: Maintenance and Support for the Server Option Comes to an End.
Customers utilizing Server will have access to maintenance and support for an additional three years. (That's over 3 years from now to get everything in order and execute on the plan.)
The bottom line is that you have time. If you need to stay on Server for now, that is a very viable option. (Just don't wait 3 years to start thinking about it.😉)
3. Resources are Abundant
There is a lot of information out there and knowing where to start can be challenging. Don't try to eat the elephant in one bite. Here are a few key places to get started:
- Learn more about these changes and your options with Atlassian's Journey to the Cloud.
- There are many paths, and you have time to evaluate your options. Atlassian has lots of information to help you learn more about the migration process here.
- E7 has a TON of resources about migrating to the Cloud. To start, maybe check out our video on Cloud migration strategy and process.